Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 34
  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    3,186

    Alternative to PayPal?

    I'm getting to the point now where I want to stop using PayPal for credit card processing., but all of the alternative seem much more expensive. I'm already using No-Chex for debit cards (UK £ only). If anyone knows of any low-cost alternatives to PayPal (multiple currencies, not just US Dollars or just UK Pounds) I'd be interested to know! Rhea
    Working with computers is a bit like getting old - the longer you're around the more wrinkles you find!

  2. #2
    Land Rovers Rule! red-defender's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    In the Heart of the Lake District
    Posts
    549
    Reah, if you don't already have a merchant account then you are limited in what you can use. NoChex' rates are good, but that is only because they are a debit card and UK only service. WorldPay are pricey, but well respected. If you do have your own merchant account then WorldPay do have a silmilar plan to ProtX - at a lower rate than their bureaux service. Things are getting more comlicated though as we see the introduction of the 'Mastercard SecureCode' and 'Verified by Visa' systems.

    You will already know about PaySystems as used by UH. PayPal is probably the best known service and very soon (so they tell us) their credit card payment system which does not require pre-registration will be introduced in the UK. It is already up & running in the US.

    I always tell my clients to expect card handling charges to run out at about 5% for customer not present transactions and to factor that into their pricing.

    Kelvyn

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    3,186
    Yes, I know the limitations of No-Chex. They're good as far as they go, and do allow people to make payments to you without having to register with you, but only up to £100.00 per day. I did look into WorldPay and they're too pricey for what I want, but I don't know what the alternatives are, if any, other than PayPal. May have to start looking into having a merchant account Rhea
    Working with computers is a bit like getting old - the longer you're around the more wrinkles you find!

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    587
    This site might prove useful for info. Also, on the Protx website, they have a cost comparator that usefully lists other respectable payment processors (although I don't think it's necessary fair to compare the likes of Protx and WorldPay who seem to provide a very different type of service).

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    3,186
    Quote Originally Posted by piper
    This site might prove useful for info. Also, on the Protx website, they have a cost comparator that usefully lists other respectable payment processors (although I don't think it's necessary fair to compare the likes of Protx and WorldPay who seem to provide a very different type of service).
    Thanks Piper, there were some very useful links on that site you provided. Two in particular bear further looking into. NOT however the BT Click & Buy solutions. Are they joking? A set up fee of £6,000 and around 20-30% of turnover! Can't see anyone taking up that great offer! Thanks again - Rhea
    Working with computers is a bit like getting old - the longer you're around the more wrinkles you find!

  6. #6
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Eastern Europe
    Posts
    5

    Post

    Quote Originally Posted by Vger
    I'm getting to the point now where I want to stop using PayPal for credit card processing., but all of the alternative seem much more expensive. I'm already using No-Chex for debit cards (UK £ only). If anyone knows of any low-cost alternatives to PayPal (multiple currencies, not just US Dollars or just UK Pounds) I'd be interested to know! Rhea
    One such alternative could be ikobo. Their fees are indeed lower than those of paypal, and the merchant account service they provide seems quite alright, complete with shopping cart as well as IPN. I'm not saying they are the best or something, but I think they're better than paypal, at least for their far better country coverage they are. It's only one alternative, I'm sure there are plenty others out there. I only recommend them because I've done business with them, actually I still use their p2p money transfer service and it's been going fine so far. Good luck!

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    3,186
    Aldemar - you must be based in the USA - because this is taken from the iKOBO webiste

    4. Receive funds instantly
    5. Have funds directly deposited to a US bank account or receive a Visa PLUS debit card to withdraw money at 800,000 ATM's worldwide

    No good for me, as my bank account is UK, but thanks for the suggestion. It may well be of use to those with US bank accounts.

    Vger
    Working with computers is a bit like getting old - the longer you're around the more wrinkles you find!

  8. #8
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    6

    Thumbs up

    Quote Originally Posted by Vger
    Aldemar - you must be based in the USA - because this is taken from the iKOBO webiste

    4. Receive funds instantly
    5. Have funds directly deposited to a US bank account or receive a Visa PLUS debit card to withdraw money at 800,000 ATM's worldwide

    No good for me, as my bank account is UK, but thanks for the suggestion. It may well be of use to those with US bank accounts.

    Vger
    You are mistaken. If you go to http://www.ikobo.com/view_country_php.html you will see the 170 countries covered by ikobo. I will explain to you. When you receive money in your ikobo account you immediately (3 to 5 working days) receive a Visa electron debit card (called iKard) from which you can withdraw your money with only 1.5$ fee from any ATM Visa plus machine. After that, every time you receive money, you can use your ikobo Visa electron debit card to withdraw your funds. Also, you can transfer your money from your ikobo card directly to your bank account (it depends on what ATM you use).

  9. #9
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Richmond, West London
    Posts
    23
    Just one thought - Paypal is well accepted by lots of users, particulary since it is linked to ebay. Its just possible that you may lose some customers if you change to a system that is less well known.

    Another alternative is to look at your own bank. It is possible you maybe able to get them to set you up with a merchant account and possibly processing. It would also reduce the percentage rates of dealing with someone like WorldPay - it depends on your volume. If you have the nerve and look like you have potential it is possible to get banks to give you lower rates than advertised. Look for specific business advisors/ managers in larger towns as these have more flexibility.
    One Damn Thing After Another

  10. #10
    edd
    edd is offline
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Lymington, Hants
    Posts
    3
    Natwest Fastpay is good - www.fastpay.co.uk

    Very easy to get started.

    Edd

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    3,186
    No, I am not mistaken.

    If you live in the USA you can have funds directly deposited to your bank account.

    If you live in any of the other 170 countries you have to await the arrival of a Visa Debit Card and then go to your bank to withdraw the money, and then pay it into your business account. This is such crackpot idea that I wouldn't even think about doing it. There's no way that I am going to travel 7 miles to my bank just to be able to access money paid to me by a customer.

    Like I said, it's okay if you live in the USA, otherwise it's of no use to me at all.

    Vger
    Quote Originally Posted by tanaka
    You are mistaken. If you go to http://www.ikobo.com/view_country_php.html you will see the 170 countries covered by ikobo. I will explain to you. When you receive money in your ikobo account you immediately (3 to 5 working days) receive a Visa electron debit card (called iKard) from which you can withdraw your money with only 1.5$ fee from any ATM Visa plus machine. After that, every time you receive money, you can use your ikobo Visa electron debit card to withdraw your funds. Also, you can transfer your money from your ikobo card directly to your bank account (it depends on what ATM you use).
    Working with computers is a bit like getting old - the longer you're around the more wrinkles you find!

  12. #12
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by Vger
    No, I am not mistaken.

    If you live in the USA you can have funds directly deposited to your bank account.

    If you live in any of the other 170 countries you have to await the arrival of a Visa Debit Card and then go to your bank to withdraw the money, and then pay it into your business account. This is such crackpot idea that I wouldn't even think about doing it. There's no way that I am going to travel 7 miles to my bank just to be able to access money paid to me by a customer.

    Like I said, it's okay if you live in the USA, otherwise it's of no use to me at all.

    Vger
    Yes you are right. My place is next to an ATM machine so it's very convenient for me. If you donít have an ATM with Visa plus around then it's not a good idea. Sorry for the intervention.

  13. #13
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    France
    Posts
    77
    fastpay looks great, is there a payment module for oscommerce?

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    3,186
    Don't think there's an osCommerce payment module, as FastPay doesn't seem to work in that way. From what I can see it operates on a FastPay 'Button' system, similar to the basic PayPal button system. However, there's no shopping cart with FastPay, you just select individual items and pay for them individually. Also, people who want to pay you still have to register with FastPay before they can send you a payment - the same as with PayPal. Shame .....it could have been very useful.

    Rhea
    Working with computers is a bit like getting old - the longer you're around the more wrinkles you find!

  15. #15
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    France
    Posts
    77
    That is a shame , I am trying to avoid the register first scene. I have downloaded a contribution that is a payment module or rather a modification of nochex module.I have not tried it yet. the order has to be completed manually it seems.
    http://www.oscommerce.com/community/...ns,1520/page,7
    Robin

  16. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    3,186
    Okay ...now, this WILL interest UK websters. Just had an e-mail from NoChex who, up until now, only took debit cards and this had a max of £100 per person (but no need to regsiter like PayPal). And, because it's done by Debit Card - no charge back! Todays' e-mail says that they are now taking credit cards! Whooooo! No customer sign-up, and a no-charge-back guarantee on credit card payments too. Also, still no need for a customer to sign up. Have e-mailed them and am now waiting for a reply as to what the limit per transaction will be. Obviously if it's the same as for Debit Cards it won't be all that we want it to be, but if it's higher (say £500 a time) then I can see PayPal bighting the dust as far as UK Websters are concerned. Oh, and their charges are 2.6% compared to 3.4 for PayPal. Good news or what?

    Rhea
    Working with computers is a bit like getting old - the longer you're around the more wrinkles you find!

  17. #17
    Senior Member grap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Essex, England
    Posts
    263
    Quote Originally Posted by Vger
    Okay ...now, this WILL interest UK websters. Just had an e-mail from NoChex who, up until now, only took debit cards and this had a max of £100 per person (but no need to regsiter like PayPal). And, because it's done by Debit Card - no charge back! Todays' e-mail says that they are now taking credit cards! Whooooo! No customer sign-up, and a no-charge-back guarantee on credit card payments too. Also, still no need for a customer to sign up. Have e-mailed them and am now waiting for a reply as to what the limit per transaction will be. Obviously if it's the same as for Debit Cards it won't be all that we want it to be, but if it's higher (say £500 a time) then I can see PayPal bighting the dust as far as UK Websters are concerned. Oh, and their charges are 2.6% compared to 3.4 for PayPal. Good news or what?

    Rhea

    Great news Rhea, I am in the same position of you, need a new payment method in the UK and this meets the need nicely if the limit is high enough. Thanks for the pointers

    Grap
    Magic is made in our hearts

  18. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    3,186

    Thumbs down Bad News!

    Got a reply from No-Chex today, and unfortunately the news is not good. With regard to payments to your account the limits for credit cards are the same as for debit cards e.g. non-members of No-Chex the limit is £100 per day, and a £300 per day limit for those who register. It may have some limited benefit, but it won't be able to replace PayPal entirely for UK websters. Just hope now that it does spur PayPal into rolling out their 'no-registration' policy in the UK, in the way they've done it in the USA.

    Rhea
    Quote Originally Posted by grap
    Great news Rhea, I am in the same position of you, need a new payment method in the UK and this meets the need nicely if the limit is high enough. Thanks for the pointers

    Grap
    Working with computers is a bit like getting old - the longer you're around the more wrinkles you find!

  19. #19
    Senior Member grap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Essex, England
    Posts
    263
    Agree with you Rhea, not good news at £100, £500 would be useful.

    Will await PayPal's rollout with anticipation

    Steve
    Magic is made in our hearts

  20. #20
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Eastern Europe
    Posts
    5

    Lightbulb

    I've been working with ikobo for a while now, I'm also from Europe and things are going ok. The initial limit now is $500 but that can be raised up to $5000 by sending some documents to verify your identity. Mine is set at $2000 for now. I first used their p2p money transfer and once I was convinced they're legit I decided to sign-up for a merchant account as well. Just a suggestion....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •