pks

btinternet.com refusing all emails from my domains on Vulcan server

Is anyone else here having problems with email being rejected by btinternet?

My several domains are all hosted on the Vulcan server. For the past week any emails sent to somebody@btinternet.com is first delayed and, eventually, not delivered. The error messages are like this:-
    A message that you sent could not be delivered to one or more of its recipients. This is a permanent error. The following address(es) failed:

myfriendsname@btinternet.com
    host mx.bt.lon5.cpcloud.co.uk [65.20.0.49]
    SMTP error from remote mail server after end of data:
    421 Too many messages (1.2.6.1) from 83.223.124.18:
    retry timeout exceeded.
    ------ This is a copy of the message, including all the headers. ------

Return-path: <myemailaddress>
    Received: from cpc52-newt31-2-0-cust348.19-3.cable.virginm.net ([82.32.213.93]:49419 helo=mycomputername)
    by vulcan.xssl.net with esmtpa (Exim 4.85)
    (envelope-from <myemailaddress>)
    id 1ZIwDR-0042eD-2x
    for myfriendsname@btinternet.com; Sat, 25 Jul 2015 10:58:01 +0100
    etc
    Those same recipients do receive emails from other places (eg, from my Gmail account) - it's only the ones from my UH hosted accounts that fail to be delivered.

As far as the "too many messages" comment is concerned, this happens when I send a single email to one recipient. And typically that recipient would receive about four emails a week from me, which seems to rather stretch the definition of "too many"!

A little research (aka Googling!) shows that there have been similar problems in the past from btinternet. One of their customers is currently stating:-
    "I have further checked all emails that do get delivered to me, and none of them have been handled by the host mx.bt.lon5.cpcloud.co.uk, whereas all of the bounced mails have been bounced by that host. Seems fairly clear that mx.bt.lon5.cpcloud.co.uk is broken."
    https://community.bt.com/t5/Email/BT...459015/page/11
    If that is correct, then btinternet have a problem ...but so too does the UH Vulcan server, it seems. So how do we get it fixed from our end?

There has been a lot of disruption on the BT network this week. Here's some info : BT broadband in broad-based brownout and TITSUP incidents
    It seems to be much worse than suggested in that article.

There are lots of complaints on the internet about this "Too many messages" error BT are returning to people.

Essentially they are deciding to only accept a limited amount of email from any one IP, then returning additional mail with this error.

If you are a BT customer there is no harm contacting them about this to see what they say, but it is quite a highly complained about problem.

I don't see any issue on the Vulcan mail server.
    Matt
    UnitedHosting Staff

For official support please use our helpdesk at UnitedSupport.co.uk

UnitedHosting proudly hosting more than 40,000 sites since 1998.

pks
    ...and they are at it again. The only way I know is when people contact me to complain that I have not sent them time-critical information. And those same people *are* receiving emails from others, so they think it's me that's at fault. Infuriating scenario. Maybe I should move my email to a different IP address altogether - or use Gmail, which rather makes it pointless having bespoke domains?!

Gmail does allow you to use your own domain with their email service, but I doubt it will fix the issue.

As I said before, there are complaints all over the internet about BT doing this rate limiting of email - for many providers all over the world so I doubt gmail is excluded from the problem. It is a BT problem to resolve and moving about email servers is unlikely to fix the situation.
    Matt
    UnitedHosting Staff

For official support please use our helpdesk at UnitedSupport.co.uk

UnitedHosting proudly hosting more than 40,000 sites since 1998.

pks
    Yes, I do have Gmail set to send using my domain's server (otherwise they add that horrendous tagline to the sender info).

I've just come off the phone with one intended recipient - with whom I need to maintain good working relationships - and she (a btinternet user) says that when she emails *to* the group forwarder (14 names, and she is one of them), then she does not even receive her own emails back ..."therefore the problem is with 'your group' since all my other emails get delivered, and I receive emails for other groups that I am on".

Yes, I can see that Rate Limiting at btinternet | MAXfocus Status are having problems, though I could not locate many more.

I have more than one domain (for different charities), both on the same Vulcan server - today single emails from one arrived successfully at a btinternet recipient, but not from the other domain for a different btinternet recipient. The utter randomness of the problem is a major problem.

Thread Information