Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    ODB

Problem with Magento back-end

Hi there

I hope one of you guys can help me. I am developing a Magento store but am unfortunately not getting very far as I keep coming across a problem. I am kind of hoping it is something to do with the server rather than the script as no-one else running Magento seems to have this issue.

In the back-end, when trying to edit products that already exist, the top header loads up to the point where the date is displayed:

PHP Code:
    <?php echo $this->formatDate(null'long'?>
    Here the script falls over and nothing else is displayed. I posted up on the Magento forums about this and eventually I got help from a fellow forumer:
    Magento - Get a blank page (apart from header) when editing most products - 'How do I' Questions - Open Source eCommerce Evolved
    I also posted in the Community Pro forum but I don't know if anyone else here is a Community (paid for) Pro (you need to have paid up to see the forum).

In all honesty I'm not much of a pro (yet) but I did pay a substantial amount of money for what I thought was going to be support from Varien (who code Magento), which hasn't quite been forthcoming. In any case this is my last crack at Magento as I've installed it about 20x times trying to sort out this bug. Failing that I'm going to go back to Zen-Cart. Which would be a shame!

Any ideas anyone?

I read your Magento post where it appears you solved this issue by removing some code from the product?

Let us all know if your still stuck.

(Also moving this post to the scripting software area of the forums.)
    Matt
    UnitedHosting Staff

For official support please use our helpdesk at UnitedSupport.co.uk

UnitedHosting proudly hosting more than 40,000 sites since 1998.

ODB
    I tried removing that piece of script but for some reason, where it worked before, it now leaves me with a completely blank page. No page source, nothing. (Have just re-ftp'd up original from install zip)

Believe me, I have not sodded around with any of the other code. This installation is pretty much untouched, apart from some categories I put in. Caching is off (made no difference before, I just turned it off to change a text footer). The temp fix was working before. I did an upgrade to the package which hosed my previous installation, so I reinstalled it a few hours ago.

Just to reiterate I was just wondering whether this could be a bug in the Magento code for UH's particular flavour of server setup, just thought I'd ask here before I kick my flatscreen clean off the table, out of the window and into my front garden.

(PS I have NO problem with UH support, it's the best I've come across!)
    Last edited by ODB; 21st April 2008 at 11:57 PM.

It's a bug in Magento. Whenever I try to edit an existing product all I get is a blank page with the background colour.

Vger
    Working with computers is a bit like getting old - the longer you're around the more wrinkles you find!

Have you checked the error_log?

Ben
    Veterinary Practice Management System by SoftFooding
    Internet Data Usage Calculator: Estimate your monthly bandwidth usage for your Internet connection.

ODB
    I'm going to sound a complete idiot here: where is the error log?

@Vger, I have asked on the Community Pro forum whether it is likely to be a bug but to no avail. Frankly I'm extremely disappointed at any lack of response from the support team, who seem very proactive otherwise.

Maybe I was just forgotten? I prefer to give people the benefit of the doubt.

Thanks for all the help, it's much appreciated. I got to get some sleep now but will be back on it in the morning/after work!!

Via FTP it's a text file called error_log in /var/log/httpd

error_log.1 is yesterday's log file and error_log.2.gz is a compressed version of the day before yesterday's log etc.

For reference, the access_log is a log of all the requests your site has received (failed and successful).

You can also access it via the site admin control panel via the "raw log files" link under "Usage Reports" drop-down menu on the left.

The file doesn't have a file extension, but just use a text editor like Notepad to open/view the file as it's purely text.

Ben
    Internet Data Usage Calculator: Estimate your monthly bandwidth usage for your Internet connection.

i have not seen any problem when editing products. i have tried editing price, product name/description, and save or save continue edit, all from clicking the far right Edit 'button'. but i am running it from my local server, which by the way uses a different pdo class from the one came with magento.

RE error log: i suspect theres only one account that can see it - the administrator account - i many times do not use that account for FTP so when people are talking about the error log location, i never seen one. too much trouble to find out which is the main admin account for each site.

Quote Originally Posted by pursuit View Post
    RE error log: i suspect theres only one account that can see it - the administrator account - i many times do not use that account for FTP so when people are talking about the error log location, i never seen one. too much trouble to find out which is the main admin account for each site.
    All FTP users should be able to read the log. At least I'm sure they can on my sites.

Otherwise you can download today's log via the site admin control panel.

Ben

ODB
    WOW

Checked the error log as MrBen suggested - lo and behold, out of memory. Upped the memory in the php.ini and everything appears to be running smoothly.

I can't thank you guys enough!

And now I'm late for work!

All FTP users should be able to read the log
    well, unfortunately, except me
    see attached screenshot - empty folder.

i know i may be missing something but what is it? not just one site, i'd say most. in fact cant really remmeber which one does have this log files on the FTP server(s).
    Attached Images Attached Images

ODB
    Pursuit, try using the UH site admin graphical file manager.

It looks like FileZilla you are using, I couldn't see certain files using it (like .htaccess). Also you are only in /var/log, log files are in /var/log/httpd...

Thankyou again everyone that took the trouble to offer help on my issue. It's like a huge weight off my shoulders knowing I can continue with Magento!
    Last edited by ODB; 22nd April 2008 at 10:40 PM.

You don't have access to /var/log/ it will show blank, you need to go to /var/log/httpd/ to see the logs.
    Matt
    UnitedHosting Staff

For official support please use our helpdesk at UnitedSupport.co.uk

UnitedHosting proudly hosting more than 40,000 sites since 1998.

problem is there is nothing under var/log, let alone /httpd, so there is nowhere to go to under var/log/... and I clicked EVERYWHERE but never saw this word or folder 'httpd'.

ODB: .htaccess is a hidden file by default - you just need click the View/show hidden file under the View menu.

you won't see /httpd/ so you need to type it into the FTP program's address bar:
    /var/log/httpd/

If you type it in, then you are able to access it, but you need to type in directly in the bar in your FTP program which shows the folder pathway.

Edith
    terraGirl

thanks Terra. indeed the httpd has to be typed in, which never dawned on me as i never type anything either on the local side or the remote side of FTP. interesting though it was supposed to show under the var/log/ folder automatically. wonder if theres any other folders that one must type in to see? i am going to first try var/goldmine/ or maybe its good idea tio run some scripts (anyone got one?) to 'auto-type' hundreds of possible words to see if lucky enough to come across some real goldmine on UH server?
    Last edited by pursuit; 23rd April 2008 at 03:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by UH-Matt View Post
    You don't have access to /var/log/ it will show blank
    That's not always the case as I can see the contents of /var/log for all sites on the server I'm on.

However, I couldn't see inside /var/log on Merlin when I was doing some work there for another customer.

Ben

I know UH say it should always be hidden, but that's not the case on our servers.

My experience is that new sites set up show /httpd/ but when sites are moved (e.g. during server migration) then /httpd/ gets hidden.

Edith
    terraGirl

ODB
    OK, I just upgraded to the new version (1.0.19700) via the /downloader/ and PEAR, and now all my admin backend links have changed to being completely unresponsive and look like this:
    /index.php/admin/dashboard/#

Anyone have any ideas?

ODB

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information